RRC|BIOSTATISTICS

Setting Up Your Linux Mint

Er, hello. Its been awhile. Fall midterms happened, I took a blogging break, and suddenly I’m sporting green and its St. Patrick’s Day. Terribly sorry. I’ve swtiched my Octopress Platform over to my laptop, both for improved convenience and that my desktop linux has become so deprecated that the thought of using it makes me want to scream. I even did a google-helpout in an attempt to salvage it and the lovely gentleman was quite dumbfounded by my errors.

Anyway, here’s what I’ve learned with a new installation of Linux Mint. It is certainly new and exciting, but the amount of changes I’ve had to make for basic functionality are disappointing to say the least. I still can’t get brightness and audiojack to work properly.

Here is a list of the assorted functionality problems you might experience with your latest installation of Linux Mint Maya and where the programs you install end up under the menu.

Right Click Disabled

When you install Linux Mint, your right click starts functioning like a left click. The right click function is there, just a two finger left click, and a 1 finger right click instead.

Scrollling Disabled

Ah, it may appear tricky, but don’t you worry.

In the terminal, enter synclint -l This will list all of the options turned on for your touchpad. You are looking for “HorizTwoFingerScroll” and “VertTwoFingerScroll” among the list of options. Since I use OS X occasionally at work, I wanted the Vertical scroll. To Enable the two finger scroll, change the variable by entering in the terminal: synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1 To read about it, enter in your terminal man synaptics, where you will learn that “Vert” and “Horiz” are boolean, meaning 0 is OFF and 1 is ON.

Once you enter that in the terminal… your vertical scrolling is returned!

Change your Search Engine to Google

Yahoo or DuckDuckGo? Although I do understand why Linux Mint chooses to not make Google default, the search capabilities are incomparabile. To change your default search engine with Linux Mint, go to http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php Then scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the phrase “Commerical Engines.” The Google icon is hidden in the middle of the list of icons as a lower case ‘g’ with the red, blue, green, and yellow background. When you click on that icon with the commerical search engine of your choice, then you will be taken to a new page that says “Google in Linux Mint.” By Clicking on the menu of the search bar, there will now be the option for “Add ‘Google’” You can get rid of extraneous search enginines with the “Manage Search Engines..” options in the searchbar menu.

Install Dropbox on Linux Mint

When I first began with Linux Min, I had no idea what type of files were appropriate. It appears to accept debian as well as rfm from Fedora. Now, if you google “Install Dropbox on Linux Mint” you get a large list of forum chats that describe this way and that way to install it, how it simply doesn’t work, and that there’s also caja-dropbox.

Here’s the short answer. None of that troubleshooting needs to happen at all.

Depending on if you’re 32 or 64 bit, go to Dropbox.com and either install the appropriate Dropbox debian package. Mine was: dropbox_1.6.0_amd64.deb Just like Ubuntu, install it with sudo dpkg -i dropbox_1.6.0_amd64.deb Upon successful installation, you’ll find Dropbox under your “Internet” menu, ready to sync like it has for any other platform.

Install Emacs24 on Linux Mint

Installation on Linux Mint as opposed to Crunchbang was not nearly as difficult.

Assuming a fresh installation/new computer, add this PPA:

1
2
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cassou/emacs
sudo apt-get update

Or, for emacs24:

1
sudo apt-get install emacs24 emacs24-el emacs24-common-non-dfsg

I found the Emacs icon under “Programming” Menu. I’m curious though – what is the difference between emacs-snapshot and emacs24? I assumed emacs-snapshot was if your distro didn’t accept it.

Recover Password

Go to grub menu, use your arrow keys to select the Linux Mint, then press ‘e’ to edit. Alot of websites will tell you to look for Kernel. In my case, Maya Mint, there wasn’t one. Its closer to this: linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro quiet splash single Mine had “quiet splash” plus a few other things. Change the words following “quiet splash” to say init=/bin/bash instead.

So you will have this entry instead.

1
linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro   quiet splash init=/bin/bash

Press “F10”, and you will launch a terminal-type environment.

Enter exactly: mount -o remount,rw / As root enter passwd with your username first. Then it will ask for the new password. Then again to confirm.

You’re done. Might have to do a hard reset. If anyone knows how to get out from there, please tell me. Afterwards, enter your new password.

Brightness

BIG WORD OF WARNING I can’t bloody get the brightness functionality to work. Here is what I’ve done that hasn’t worked so far.

1
2
3
sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
sudo setpci -s "00:02.0" F4.B=40
before exit 0

But entering this in the terminal didn’t work

I heard about xbacklight and installed it with: sudo apt-get install xbacklight Then I opened “Startup Applications” from the menu (System Tools —> Preferences —> Startup Applications) and add a new item with the following details:

1
2
Name: Brightness
Command: xbacklight -set 40

You can 40 in the command line with any brightness value from 5 to 100 of your choice, then click Save. On the next reboot, your system will set the selected brightness level automatically after you log in. Except for me, there is no difference whether I try it by GUI or by command line. I’m completely stuck.