RRC|BIOSTATISTICS

Virtual Box 64-Bit

Greetings from the land of dual-boot. You may have discovered that the WindowsOS is now EXTRAORDINARILY resistant to dual-booting. Like me, you may have tried Linux Mint.

Due to extenuating circumstances, I’m now using VirtualBox. Here is the full process to get it functioning on your Windows 10 OS, and some problems you might run into:

Download VirtualBox

Using this website: LINK, download the VirtualBox (VBox) Binary for Windows. When you install it, select “Yes” for at least one of the VBox icons, otherwise its going to be difficult to locate the program again via search. For some reason the program isn’t searchable following download via an intuitive keyword such as, oh I don’t know, “Oracle”, or “VBox”, or “VirtualBox”

Set up for Ubuntu installation

Don’t forget that following installation of VirtualBox, you must restart your computer for it to take effect. When you’re ready select from the dropdown menu the Ubuntu version you want to install.

Aaaand theres no 64-bit Ubuntu option.

There was only the 32-bit version. Why?

If you want to look at the comments about this problem, the post online is called” “No 64-bit option for VirtualBox 5.0.10 for Windows?”

You need to check hardware support.

Checklist to enable 64-bit guests

To enable 64bit guests, run through the following checklist:

Check CPU

Note your exact CPU model or part number, then go online and check its capabilities. The CPU must have 64 bit capability and support either Intel or AMD virtualization technologies: VT-x or AMD-v. You usually need to enable VT-x/AMD-v in the host PC BIOS.

Find the link here, which lets you check your CPU. Look at your settings to find out what the name of the core is. LINK

Boot into the BIOS screen.

1. Boot (or restart) the PC: Pay close attention to the first screen that appears. Look for a message that indicates which key you need to press in order to access the BIOS.

That key is likely to be:
—A Function key (such as F1, F2, or F3)
—The Esc key
—The Delete key

You are looking for an option called “Enable Virtualization Technology”. If you see “Virtual Directed I/O” then that is a different thing. Remember to reboot your host PC after making BIOS changes – in this case a full restart from power off is required, just resuming from a hibernated state may not do the job.

What now?

Step 1: You need to download the Ubuntu image (filename .iso). First, go here:Ubuntu Desktop and this will donwload the “Image” for you, or the .iso file you are looking for. The download will take awhile. With my wifi it took a half hour. With wired access probably alot faster.

Step 2: Make sure you have the latest version of Java. Be sure to check that you don’t want any extraneous installations:

How much space for memory?

When you are ready to create your partion, the memory limit is important. The limit on mine appears to be 8GB of memory. I’m using 5 for now. The virtual box made this a bit confusing, but you can check the conversation of GB to MB conversation on Google (ie:~1024MB to one GB).

I’m running this on a desktop (oh yes, I’m a dinosaur so I had 500GB of space. I gave 50GB for my linuxmachine)